Climate Change Australia – Hastings is a non party-political community group seeking outcomes that support a safe climate and more clean energy. Our aim is to support policies that are serious about tackling climate change and to make sure you know what your vote means for our climate, right now and for our children and grand-children.
Our government signed the Paris Agreement to limit global warming but is failing to take action. As residents of Cowper and Lyne, we have an opportunity. During the federal election we are calling on our political leaders to act now for a safe climate and more clean energy.
Climate change is already impacting us:
- Bleaching coral off the Solitary Islands, and mass coral bleaching ravaging the Great Barrier Reef.
- Heatwaves which make it hard for children to concentrate or play sport at school, and are potentially deadly for the elderly and vulnerable.
- More intense bushfires and a longer fire season.
- More intense droughts and less reliable rainfall impacting agriculture and our food security.
- More intense storms and high rainfall risking flash flooding and damage to houses and towns.
- Slowly rising sea levels threaten our coastlines, infrastructure, economy and our way of life.
These impacts are guaranteed to get worse if we fail to act and act fast. The science is clear – we are in a climate emergency. We must cut carbon pollution to net zero before 2040. The plan must also include:
- A transition to 100% renewable energy (this is achievable and affordable).
- Fossil fuels must stay in the ground – an immediate halt to all new coal mines, gas wells and oil drilling – and a long-term plan to close existing mines and coal power stations.
- A fair transition plan for workers. There are thousands of new jobs in clean energy and sustainable growth in the new economy.
- End fossil fuel subsidies and clean up donations from polluting industries. There is a clear link between donations and the failure to act on climate change.
- Serious and effective protection for the Great Barrier Reef.
A safe climate is critical to the full enjoyment of human rights, including rights to life, health, food, water, housing and security. The future of ecosystems and human civilisations depends on actions we take now. We owe it to future generations, our children and grand-children, to take strong action now, before it is too late.
If you would like to empower others to use their vote to create a safe climate now and in the future, we welcome your call or email.
Mobile Hotline: 0456 617 587